Friday, December 19, 2008

As the crows fly...















The crows of Vancouver have fascinated me for years as they have for many who see them fly overhead every night at sunset. I believe most people either love them or hate them. I happen to love them.

I wanted to photograph them up close along their route at sunset. I chose a rooftop just off of Grandview Highway recently and experienced the most amazing sensory encounter. As I waited patiently for their arrival I was able to observe murder after murder flying from all directions to where I sat. In large roving circles they slowly came closer and then almost at once they converged onto the building where I was and onto a few of the rooftops around me.

As my eye was looking through the viewfinder I could only hear them arriving behind me. The swoosh of their wings surrounded me. I wasn't sure if I would be perceived as a threat or not. Crows are very close knit and protective of their family units. I heard them chattering away to each other and I felt safe. I sat very still and found it hard to photograph with any concentration. I was overwhelmed with amazement. Everywhere that I looked were crows. I have never seen them in such numbers.

I will go back another night and try to take some better photos. Now that I know what to expect I will be more prepared.

No comments: