Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why Not a Happy Parent Birthday?


One thing no one told me in all the advice given with my first pregnancy is how intense the loss of self can be. I traded one identity, that I had grown quite used to let me tell you, for a very new and different one. I was over the moon to become a mother, but I wish I had taken a little more time to acknowledge and honour my former self.

It is the most intense feeling to be 'on' all the time. I am only now coming out the other side and of course I will never be the person I once was, nor do I wish to be. For the last five years I have given my heart and soul to my children. They are at an age now when my baby needs me less and my oldest wishes for me to remain on the fringes, but still cuddle her to sleep every night.

I have mixed feelings about their new independence from me. On one side I am sentimental that the baby years are behind us, but at the same time I am excited to reclaim a little of my old self.

As the busy wedding and event season winds down and school has started I may just have a bit more time on my hands. I look forward to spending one on one time with my youngest, but also that when she naps ( I hope she continues for a little longer) that will be my time. I will try not to fill it with work, but just sit and have a coffee and perhaps even read...woohoo!!

I am writing this coming from a recent maternity shoot where I try to capture the essence of my clients, and mainly the mother-to-be, so that there in colour or black and white is the person/persons on the cusp of being a newly hatched parent.

We should celebrate the birth of the parent, mourn the loss of self and then completely give ourselves over to the child. Happy Parent Day to you!












No comments: