Monday, May 11, 2009

Child Friendly mini Banana muffins



I have lost the link to the easiest banana muffins, but my search has turned up a general consensus of what ingredients make a very good banana muffin. We have made it so often lately that I have it stuck in my head. I just patiently wait for a few days when my children are not gorging themselves on bananas and then have them whip this up.
I think this is the original, from 'All Recipes', but I have altered it a little. See below for changes.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use wholewheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed (3-4 bananas)
3/4 cup white sugar ( I use 1/2c.)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour **crumbly top (I don't use)
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon **crumbly top
1 tablespoon butter ** crumbly top

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers. (We do not need muffin cups as they are so small.)
In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
This recipe includes a crumbly top which I do not think is necessary. I also use less sugar and wholewheat flour and go a little heavy on the bananas.
My four year old can almost make this herself. Even my two year contributes. They spoon out the batter into a mini muffin tray and I think they love this part the best. I have decided to let go of any concerns in terms of the appearance of the little muffins and the mess this creates as the joy on their faces is very rewarding.
Once done, which only takes about 10 minutes in my old oven, the kids just pop them out and gobble them up. They are so much easier to eat than big muffins and so fast to make. As we make so many of them at a time I usually feel pretty generous and others are, more often than not, rewarded by our efforts.

No comments: